Tuesday 26 June 2007

Sign Language

When riding along a highway in a foreign country, one has to take particular attention to the signs that are posted along the way to ensure appropriate riding behaviour, and to maximise the safety of both those on the motorbike, and the general population at large. (Note, this blog entry will make more sense if read after the one immediately below, that introduces the reader to the motorbiking experience on Highway 1A).

In some cases this has proven a little challenging, and I'll show you why.

Example 1
Pedestrian Crossing. Simple enough really, just an image two children on their way to school.

Example 2
Pedestrian Crossing. Apparently I need to look out for kids who have their heads attached. Good that they cleared that one up.

Example 3
Pedestrian Crossing. In this case I need to look out for particularly skinny kids.
Do they have to survey each town to decide which sign is the most appropriate? If so, I feel pretty bad for the village where the kids have detached heads.

Example 4
Pedestrian Crossing. Okay, something different. In this case I need to look out for running skinny Dad and daughter. Dad will have his breif case with him.

Example 5

Pedestrian Crossing. Okay, in this case I need to look out for the same father/daughter combination, but in this case Dad is going to work first. They really are getting quite specific aren't they? (oh and the people in this village don't have feet, so watch out, they might be moving slowly)

Example 6
Warning (?) Sign. It's a little difficult to determine the meaning of this one. At first I thought it meant "Oh Shit" or "Watch out, danger ahead" and therefore paid special attention to the road around me - seems like a pretty logical way to act, doesn't it?

Example 6 (from further back)
Warning (?) Sign. So if this sign is supposed to indicate a warning, can anyone explain why it was used in this instance? A perfectly straight road, no side streets, very little traffic and excellent visibility. You might suggest the small pile of rubble, but I can assure you that this is nothing. Every village (and at many places in between) you see things drying out on the road: Chilli, salt, rice cakes. And I don't mean beside the road, I mean on the road - so no, I don't think this little pile of rubble constitutes a hazard in the Vietnamese sense. So I have no conclusion as to what this sign is supposed to mean. All I pray for is that I don't see another sign down the road that simply states "?".

Example 7

No floating cars alowed?

No comments: